Friday, May 25, 2012

Swap-Bot and the Resurrection of my Mailbox

I love getting mail when it isn't advertisements and bills, so when I came across Swap-Bot.com, I fell in love instantly. Swap-Bot is an online community of people that love receiving snail mail. Community members host a wide array of swaps, ranging from pen pals and letter writing to arts and crafts and Swap-Bot assigns partners and handles the details so that all you have to worry about is sending and receiving your little treasures!

There's a huge variety of swaps that members can participate in, from arts and crafts to dollar store grab bags to pen palling, and tons of stuff in between. Currently, I am participating in a recipe card scavenger hunt. The swap host provided a list of categories and participants find recipes that fit those categories, write/print them on recipe cards and send them to two partners.

I find this swap to be incredibly exciting for a few reasons. First, I love getting and trying new recipes. I'm forever trying to pick friends' brains after they've served a great meal. I will be getting a total of 20 new recipes out of the swap, and I'm just itching to see them and try them out. Second, his swap gave me an excuse to go out and peruse the dollar bins at Michael's for some recipe cards.



If there is one thing I love more than recipes, its the recipe cards they're written on. It's common now to just save recipes in an online recipe box and follow from a laptop or tablet or to just print the recipe out on regular printer paper. And why not? It's convenient and easy.  For me, though, there is something very fun about having recipes written out on cards. It takes just a few extra minutes of your time and it turns a small gesture into something more personal and interesting.

Until now, I haven't taken the time to assemble all of my recipes into a binder. I've got them all sitting in a box on top of the refrigerator. With this new influx of cards, I've decided that I'll take the opportunity to organize and assemble all of my cards into a nice binder. It'll be something nice to hand down to my own daughter someday. :)

Do you have any favorite recipes? Maybe you could share them ... hint hint.

Until next time.

xoxo,
Alex

1 comment:

  1. Having recipe hand written is so much better than checking it on-line. In Poland where I live recipe cards are not really popular but I've got a big, fat notebook where I put the best of my recipes. When you cook using such a recipe the food got soul inside. okrutnyb@swap-bot

    ReplyDelete