Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Oh, the Joys of Moving

In just under ten weeks, my fiance and I will be moving from our hometown to San Antonio, about four hours away. We've lived at our current home for about a year and a half now. I started packing last week, and I have to say - it is amazing how much junk two people can accumulate in such a short period of time! When we moved from our apartment into our home, we thew like madmen, but it seems that everything we got rid of has found us again.

Needless to say, I am feeling overwhelmed and just shy of the freak out zone! Ten weeks may seem like a long time, but the calendar lies. Seeing those ten pretty little rows stacked on top of each other sends you into a false sense of security! It makes you feel like you have all the time in the world, when, in reality, the deadline is just sitting there, stalking you in the grass ... like a creepy person. Plus, my time is being divided between the move and my wedding day - July 15th. I am estimating that, with the planning that I have left to do, I will lose about a week and a half of packing time. So, that leaves me with 8 1/2 weeks.

In an effort to maintain my sanity, I sat down and started putting together an action plan for packing/moving. We have a lot of boxes that are still packed from our last move, so I've decided to inventory and repack those first. Then, I'll deal with the rooms in order of how much time we spend in there. I started with the den and worked my way back through the home office and to the bedroom. We will be doing the kitchen last. When all was said and done, this list looked like this:


Den
Estimated # of boxes:
Deadline:
Things to Move:
Boxes
Furniture
DVDs & VHS Tapes

Sofa

Xbox Console and Games

Loveseat

Wii Console and Games

Bookcase

PS2 Console and Games

Media Stands (4)

Books

Entertainment System stand

4 Wall Plaques

Coffee Table

3 Pictures Frames

Mini Fridge

Photo Album

Filing Cabinet

Arts & Crafts Rubbermaid





I created a general list like this for each room we are moving. The list is divided into two columns - boxes and furniture. I estimated how many boxes I would need for each room, and gave myself an deadline to complete the packing.

I also created a checklist for myself of any other important tasks that needed to be completed before our August 1st move-in date, such as contacting utility companies and designating a turn-on date, scheduling an install date for Verizon and gathering information about our new neighborhood, such as a doctor, a vet for Luna and, of course, any shopping in the area ;D

Until next time.

xoxo,
Alex

1 comment:

  1. OMG I love that you created a check list. I hope fiance loves it too. I do things like that and my hubby thinks I'm crazy. :)

    ~J3ss1ca (Swap-Bot)

    ReplyDelete